Skip to content
Independent reporting

Report: Some Secret Service Agents from Trump Shooting Placed on Leave

Report: Some Secret Service Agents from Trump Shooting Placed on Leave
Share X Facebook Email

(Ken Silva, Headline USA) The Secret Service has placed several members of the Pittsburgh Field Office, which oversaw security preparations at the July 13 deadly Trump rally in Butler, Pennsylvania, on administrative leave, according to reporter Susan Crabtree.

Citing three unnamed sources in the โ€œSecret Service community,โ€ Crabtree reported Thursday that several non-Pittsburgh agents assigned to Trumpโ€™s permanent protective detail are still on the job, even though they, too, were involved in security planning at Butler.

โ€œThe differing treatment of the two teams is spurring internal dissension and speculation that the Pittsburgh office could bear the brunt of the serious security failures that day, even though thereโ€™s plenty of blame to go around,โ€ Crabtree reported.

โ€œBecause members of the Pittsburgh Field Office shared the responsibility with the individuals from the Trump detail, sources are questioning why no one from the Trump detail has been put on administrative leave while several of their Pittsburgh counterparts have been,โ€ she said.

โ€œEven the innermost ring of security โ€“ those agents on the Trump detail who quickly used their bodies as human shields to protect Trump โ€“ are still on the job despite the obvious trauma of going through such a stressful event.โ€

Among the Secret Service agents still on duty are the unnamed female site agent for Butler, who is on Trumpโ€™s security detail.

In a letter earlier this month to Secret Service Director Ronald Rowe, Hawley called for the lead site agent to be suspended immediately. Hawley saidย whistleblowersย have given him disturbing information about the Secret Service lead site agentโ€™s track record.

โ€œThis lead site agent was well-known in campaign circles as lacking competence and experience in the role โ€ฆ The whistleblower further alleges that this individual was, as part of securing the site, specifically responsible for line-of-sight concerns,โ€ Hawley said.

Hawley accused Rowe of jeopardizing the security of protectees by allowing the Secret Service site agent to continue working.

The senatorโ€™s letter came about a week after Rowe dodged his questions at a congressional hearing. There, Hawley specifically asked Rowe to name the agentsย who failed to confirm that the building from which the failed assassin,ย Thomas Matthew Crooks, fired shots at Trump was secured.

In response, Rowe claimed he did not want to single out any specific individual.ย โ€œSir, this could have been ourย Texas School Book Depository. Iโ€™ve lost sleep over that for the last 17 days, just like you have,โ€ Rowe said, referencing the building from which Lee Harvey Oswald fatally shot Presidentย John F. Kennedyย in 1963.

Ken Silva is a staff writer at Headline USA. Follow him at twitter.com/jd_cashless.

Source

Share X Facebook Email

The Daily Brief

The essential stories, without the noise.

A concise briefing delivered directly to your inbox.

Free to join. Unsubscribe any time.

Powered by Reach Response