Skip to content
Independent reporting
,

DirecTV Files FCC Complaint against Disney as Carrier Impasse Ruins Big Sports Weekend

DirecTV Files FCC Complaint against Disney as Carrier Impasse Ruins Big Sports Weekend
Share X Facebook Email

(Headline USA) The impasse between DirecTV and Disney over a new carriage agreement has become more heated as it entered its second week.

DirecTV filed a complaint with the Federal Communications Commission on Saturday night accusing Disney of negotiating in bad faith.

Disney channels, including ESPN and ABC-owned stations in nine markets, have been off DirecTV since the evening of Sept. 1. That meant DirecTV customers were blacked out from viewing most college football games and the final week of the U.S. Open tennis tournament, including the womenโ€™s and menโ€™s finals.

DirecTV has 11.3 million subscribers, according to Leichtman Research Group, making it the nationโ€™s third-largest pay TV provider.

ABC and ESPN will have the โ€œMonday Night Footballโ€ opener between the New York Jets and San Francisco 49ers.

ABC will also produce and carry a presidential debate between former President Donald Trump and current Vice President Kamala Harris on Tuesday in Philadelphia.

ABC-owned stations in Los Angeles; the San Francisco Bay Area; Fresno, California; New York; Chicago; Philadelphia; Houston; and Raleigh, North Carolina, are off DirecTV.

Besides all ESPN network channels and ABC-owned stations, Disney-branded channels Freeform, FX and National Geographic channel are dark.

DirecTV says in its 10-page complaint that Disney is violating the FCCโ€™s good faith mandates by asking it to waive any legal claims on any anticompetitive actions, including its ongoing packaging and minimum penetration demands.

DirecTV has asked Disney for the option to provide consumers with cheaper and skinnier bundles of programming, instead of bigger bundles that carry programming some viewers might not be interested in watching.

The complaint states: โ€œAlong with these anticompetitive demands, Disney has also insisted that DirecTV agree to a โ€˜clean slateโ€™ provision and a covenant not to sue, both of which are intended to prevent DirecTV from taking legal action regarding Disneyโ€™s anticompetitive demands, which would include filing good faith complaints at the Commission. Not three months ago, however, the Media Bureau made clear that such a demand itself constitutes bad faith.โ€

DirecTV CEO Ray Carpenter said during a conference call with business and media analysts on Tuesday that they would not agree to a new carriage deal with Disney without bundling changes.

โ€œWeโ€™re not playing a short-term game,โ€ Carpenter said. โ€œWe need something that is going to work for the long-term sustainability of our video customers. The resolve is there.โ€

Disney has claimed since the blackout began that mutual release of claims is standard practice after licensing agreements are negotiated and agreed upon by the parties. It has also had one with DirecTV under its past renewals.

โ€œWe continue to negotiate with DirecTV to restore access to our content as quickly as possible,โ€ a Disney spokesperson said. โ€œWe urge DirecTV to stop creating diversions and instead prioritize their customers by finalizing a deal that would allow their subscribers to watch our strong upcoming lineup of sports, news and entertainment programming, starting with the return of Monday Night Football.โ€

Last year, Disney and Charter Spectrumโ€”the nationโ€™s second-largest cable TV providerโ€”were involved in a nearly 12-day impasse until coming to an agreement hours before the first Monday night NFL game of the season.

Adapted from reporting by the Associated Press

Source

Share X Facebook Email

The Daily Brief

The essential stories, without the noise.

A concise briefing delivered directly to your inbox.

Free to join. Unsubscribe any time.

Powered by Reach Response